YFH COACHING COMPLIANCE
Whether you are already a hockey coach or if you want to obtain your coaching credentials, if you want to be a YFH coach, please contact us.
We are always interested in having dedicated parents become more involved in the YFH program! … Above all else, it's always about the kids!
Coaches will be required to obtain, and submit to YFH, the following information to be allowed to participate as a YFH Coach. If you have questions, please contact Head Coach John Beiber (email@example.com).
1) USA HOCKEY REGISTRATION: This registration is done every season. Current cost is $46.00 for coaches. https://www.usahockeyregistration.com/login_input.action
2) USA HOCKEY COACHING CLASS CERTIFICATION: See the USA Hockey coaching page -- https://www.usahockey.com/coaches -- and the follow the steps for becoming a USA Hockey-certified coach, which are outlined here: https://www.usahockey.com/coachingcertification .
In short, you need to attend a certification class from USA Hockey's Coaching Education Program. All coaches must enter USA Hockey’s Coaching Education Program at Level 1, and must continue their education with a coaching clinic each year until, at a minimum, they achieve Level 3. Coaches of only 8U or younger players may remain at Level 1, or other certification level, even if expired, until such time as they are coaching any older age level of play. Levels 1-3 are one-day seminars that cover topics of all types, ranging from on-ice practice drills and game strategies to handling off-ice issues such as conflicts with parents and teammates. Use the links to search for the appropriate class for you. https://courses.usahockey.com/external/search.html?type=Coaching If this is your first class, sign up for CEP Level 1. Level 1 and Level 2 certifications are good for one year. If you did Level 1 last year, choose CEP Level 2. If you did Level 2 last year, choose CEP Level 3. Occasionally there is an on-ice portion in these clinics, so you may need to bring skates, helmet, stick, and gloves. The clinic description will usually tell you if there is an on-ice component.
If you are already certified, pease use the link here to find your current USAH Coaching Level and expiration: http://www.usahockey.com/page/show/893024-cep-list. If the expiration is listed asDecember of this year, please register for the appropriate CEP class ASAP! They fill up rather quickly! If December 31 comes along and your Level is not up-to-date, you will not be permitted to step onto the ice or coach a bench. New coaches have until December 31 to complete the Level CEP.
**YFH will reimburse up to $85.00 of the costs of USA Hockey Coaching Certification to YFH coaches and assistant coaches who successfully pass certification testing and actively participate in YFH activities as a coach and/or assistant coach for YFH teams. Please contact us for more information and details.**
3) USA HOCKEY AGE-SPECIFIC MODULES: You need to complete the age-appropriate online course. http://www.usahockey.com/page/show/892966-age-specific-modules This is a web-based training that deals with age and gender related topics that are specific to the age group that you are coaching. The course takes about 8 hours but you do not need to do it all in one sitting. Once you start it, you have 30 days to complete the 8 hours. The course is made up of short video segments (2-10 minutes) followed by multiple choice quizzes. There is a course for every age level (mite, squirt, peewee, bantam, midget). You must complete the courses that are applicable to the group of kids you are coaching. Coaches will have until December 31 to complete the appropriate age-specific module(s). Please note that while have one month from the day you start the module to complete it. if you don't start the module until December 31, you only have 1 day as the modules will go off line as of January 1.
4) USA HOCKEY SAFESPORT TRAINING or THE REFRSHER COURSE: You are required to complete the online training, the goal of which is to prevent abuse from occuring in youth hockey. https://www.usahockey.com/safesportprogram Your USA hockey confirmation number and email address will be used to register. This training is valid for one year and there is no cost. If you have completed the initial training course this year, then you will need to take the referesher course next year. Register here: https://www.usahockey.com/safesporttraining Training must be completed before a person begins having regular contact with minor athletes, or if they do not have regular contact with minors, no more than 45 days after beginning the role that requires them to complete training.
5) CDC CONCUSSION MODULE: This online module is valid for two years. https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/youthsports/training/index.html
6) MID-AM HOCKEY BACKGROUND SCREENING: All volunteers in the Mid-American district are required to be cleared before they can have routine interaction with children who participate in Mid-Am (a background check). This screening is good for two years. Current cost is $30 (as of 8/2019). Create a login and start the process here: http://www.midamhockey.com/youth-hockey/screening-process-log-in/ (click on the big words "Link to SCREENING LOGIN" in red -- this is a link, not just a headline)
7) PA BACKGROUND SCREENING. Pennsylvania requires that adult volunteers who have direct contact or are responsible for the welfare of a child must obtain the background check clearances listed below. This law applies to Young Foxes Hockey, a Pennsylvania non-profit corporation, and to all YFH regular coaches, as they are all unpaid volunteers. Any prospective YFH coaches who will be (1) responsible for the welfare of children, or have routine interaction with children that is integral to their volunteer position and/or direct contact with children in terms of care, supervision, control or guidance, must submit clearances below before they can begin coaching duties. Please note that if you have already obtained the clearances below for another related position in Pennsylvania (for example, volunteering/working at a school or for volunteer coaching another youth sport), the clearance is transferrable for unpaid volunteer positions. So long as the clearances are current, you do not have to re-do them. According to Pennsylvania Department of Human Services guidelines, unpaid volunteers – such as YFH Coaches – are required to obtain updated clearances within 60 months of the most recent clearance. For more information go to: http://www.keepkidssafe.pa.gov/
The three required PA clearances are:
A. PA CHILD ABUSE HISTORY CLEARANCES:This service provides a means for individuals to apply for PA Child Abuse History Clearance online and for mandated reporters to report child abuse in Pennsylvania. This application will prompt you for a comprehensive list of all addresses and household members that you have lived with since 1975. For volunteers, this clearance is required every five years (60 months). This is required ASAP. While there is no cost, please be sure to select "volunteer position". Please note that it may take up to 2 weeks (14 days) for processing and for you to receive the clearance. https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
B. PA STATE POLICE ACCESS TO CRIMINAL HISTORY ("PATCH"): PATCH provides a means for the individuals to obtain PA criminal history record checks. For volunteers, this is required every five years (60 months). Responses are immediate. Print your criminal record check or save it as a PDF. https://epatch.state.pa.us/
C. FBI BACKGROUND CHECK & FINGERPRINTING or AFFIDAVIT. Required for any volunteer or employee who works with children. Valid for five years (60 months). Pennsylvania utilizes IDEMIA to process fingerprint-based FBI criminal background checks. The fingerprint-based background check is a multi-step process. For general questions about FBI clearances, please contact the FBI Background Check Unit at 877-371-5422. For IDEMIA registration, processing, or billing questions, please contact IDEMIA/IdentoGo at 1-844-321-2101. Register online: https://www.identogo.com/locations/pennsylvania.
- AFFIDAVIT. The FBI check and fingerprinting requirement is waived for volunteers if you have lived in PA for at least the last 10 consecutive years. However, you must affirm, in writing that you are not barred from volunteering due to conviction. If you are eligible for this waiver, you must fill out the affidavit, have it notarized, and submit it to YFH. The affidavit and other important information about this Act, in general, is here:
-- Supplemental notes: In the context of YFH, the occasional non-coach “parent helper” on the ice for mite, squirt and/or peewee practices or who runs the clock or opens doors, if needed by a coach, for games is not a “volunteer” as contemplated by the PA Act as such individuals are not responsible for the welfare of the children and do not have routine (regular, ongoing) direct contact with children. Any on ice “parent helper” who will be on the ice regularly as a volunter and/or who desires to become a YFH Coach, however, must promptly obtain the requried clearances before beginning any volunteering and/or coaching duties, which may be prior to the deadlines established for any other required certifications in a particular season (USA Hockey coaching certifications and Mid Am clearances are required by December 31, see above). Prospective YFH Coaches who have just moved to Pennsylvania may serve as a “provisional” volunteer as long as they provide the clearances from their home state or jurisdiction and obtain the PA clearances within 30 days.